A Twist on Your Thanksgiving Side Dish: Mac & Cheese Cups
Mac & Cheese You Can Eat With Your Hands
I’ve taken a timeless classic and have given it a delicious twist! Try this recipe using fresh and pure s ingredients, and let the mouth watering begin. These Mac & Cheese Cups make a great side dish for turkey day, and they’re the perfect “shared” dish to take to your holiday parties. Enjoy!
Mac & Cheese Cups
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 5 tablespoons Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 5 cups Hiland Dairy Sharp Cheddar Cheese, freshly grated, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 3/4 cups Hiland Dairy Vitamin D Milk
- 3/4 cup Hiland Dairy Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons melted butter, bread crumbs and 1 cup cheese. Set aside.
Open tube of crescent rolls and press each triangle into a cup of a muffin tin. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter over moderately-low heat. Stir in flour and crushed red pepper.
Cook roux by stirring for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 3 minutes, whisking occasionally. Stir in heavy whipping cream, 4 cups cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
Stir in cooked macaroni noodles.
Transfer mixture evenly into each cup.
Sprinkle butter, bread crumbs and cheese mixture on top of each cup. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
Make this a main dish by tossing in cubed ham and broccoli, chunked tuna and peas, or ground beef and diced tomatoes. And, don’t forget to print Hiland Dairy’s online coupons before you head to the store!
~The Dairy Diva