Today is National Noodle Day!
We can’t think of a better day to enjoy the classic family staple known as Tuna and Noodle Casserole! And at only 336 calories per one cup serving, this flavor-packed recipe won’t leave you feeling guilty.
Tuna and Noodle Casserole
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 oz. dried medium noodles
- 1 9.25 oz. can tuna (water-packed)
- 1 tablespoon Hiland Dairy Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 10 oz. package frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Hiland Fat Free Milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Shredded Cheddar Cheese (2 oz.)
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. Drain and flake tuna. Toss the bread crumbs with butter; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine frozen green beans, mushrooms, green or red pepper, onion, celery, water, bouillon granules and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir together milk, cornstarch and dry mustard. Add to vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in noodles and tuna. Spoon mixture into 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture around outside edge of casserole. Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden.
What’s your favorite noodle dish?
We know Tuna and Noodle Casserole isn’t for everybody. We want to know what your favorite noodle dish is. Tell us in the comments below!