Delightful DIY Holiday Card Craft
Sending Holiday Cheer
It’s the time of year when your mailbox fills with holiday cards that spread good cheer and well wishes from near and far. Instead of buying greeting cards this year, enhance upcoming festivities with homemade cards using repurposed Hiland Dairy paper cartons. Each one will be unique and made with love.
DIY Holiday Card
What You’ll Need:
- Empty Hiland Dairy paper carton (I used a pint-sized Hiland Dairy Half & Half carton)
- White cardstock
- Mounting tape
- Glitter glue
- Ribbon, holiday-themed
- Construction paper, holiday colors
- Rinse the carton with warm, soapy water. Allow to dry completely.
- Using scissors, cut out the card from the card stock. Tip: Be sure to cut your cards smaller than a standard-sized envelope so you won’t pay for extra postage (I created an 8- x 5-inch card to fit a 9- x 6-inch stock envelope).
- Open up the top of the carton and cut down one side. Cut along the bottom and top around all four sides so the carton opens up flat on a table.
- Trace ornament shapes on the white side of the carton and cut them out.
- Using glitter glue, decorate the ornaments. Allow to dry completely. Tip: If you don’t have glitter glue pens, simply use regular glue and glitter to create the festive décor.
- Draw a rectangle on the upper portion of your card with regular glue. Press holiday-themed ribbon on top of the glue and cut the ribbon when it meets at the beginning corner.
- Using different ribbon cut two various length strips. Glue each strip of ribbon to the cardstock from the top of the inside of your ribbon rectangle, about a half an inch apart.
- Place one piece of mounting tape under each ribbon strip.
- Gently press the ornaments onto each piece of the mounting tape to make the ornaments look like they are hanging from the ribbon.
- Cut out a rectangle from the carton. Write a holiday message on the white side of the carton.
- Cut a larger rectangle out of construction paper that is approximately a half an inch larger than the carton rectangle. Glue it onto the bottom of the card.
- Place two pieces of mounting tape to the back of the carton rectangle and press it onto the construction paper rectangle.
- Send the card to a loved one to wish them a happy holiday!
Create your own holiday design using pop-up pieces made from Hiland Dairy cartons, including trees, snowmen and snowflakes.
~The Dairy Diva