DIY Kentucky Derby Centerpiece Hat
And they’re off!
The Kentucky Derby might be notorious for its horses, jockeys and roses, but I have to admit…I LOVE the hats! So much so, they inspired me to create a festive centerpiece hat out of a repurposed Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese container. Want to give it a try? Check out my simple step-by-step directions below:
What you’ll need:
- Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese container
- Tissue paper
- Craft paint
- Foam disc
- Sheet of paper with grass design print
- Assorted faux flowers
- Assorted faux butterflies
- Glue gun
- Tip: I used a cake box.
- Rinse the cottage cheese container with warm soapy water. Allow to dry completely.
- Trace the bottom of the container onto a piece of cardboard and cut out using scissors.
- Tip: You can find a lightweight cake box like I used at any craft store.
- Place the cardboard under a plate that is approximately 3 inches larger than the hole (centering the hole in the middle of the plate) and trace around the outer edge of the plate.
- Cut along the plate line using scissors to create the brim of the hat.
- Turn the container upside-down and lightly push the brim through the bottom.
- Glue the lid from the to the bottom to secure the brim in place.
- Paint the top of the brim. Allow to dry completely.
- Cut two strips of paper printed with a grass design to the height of the container.
- Glue the strips of paper around the container. Allow to dry completely.
- Tip: Trip the paper at the top to get a smooth edge.
- Crumple tissue paper into loose balls and glue them at a diagonal from the brim to the top of the hat.
- Glue the butterflies onto the tissue paper at various angles.
- Tip: Be sure to reserve a few butterflies to use later.
- Place the foam disc into the opening of the container.
- Poke flowers through the foam to create a flower garden.
- Glue the reserved butterflies to the flowers.
- Proudly display the centerpiece at your Kentucky Derby gathering!
Keep up your diva status by serving up the signature drink of the race, mint juleps, along with classic Southern snacks to keep your party authentic!
~The Dairy Diva