And All Through The Town …
Creating a village out of repurposed Hiland Dairy Milk cartons is a great hands-on project for you and your kids this holiday season. Start saving your cartons now so when holiday break starts, your kids can start crafting away! Follow these step-by-step directions and you’ll have a festive village in no time.
DIY Milk Carton Holiday Village
What You’ll Need:
- Empty Hiland Dairy Milk cartons, various sizes
- Brown spray paint
- White acrylic paint
- Paper napkins
- Cereal box cardboard
- Buttons, various colors and sizes
- Mod Podge
- Silver and black permanent markers
- Holiday-themed puffy stickers
- Craft jewels and beads, various shapes and colors
- Paintbrushes, foam and nylon or synthetic
- Glue gun or tape
- Tacky glue
- Rinse cartons with warm, soapy water. Allow to dry completely.
- Open the tops of the cartons. At the “pour” side of each carton, cut the upper corner triangle out using scissors, leaving a little border around the “pouring” triangle. Repeat on the opposite side of each carton.
- Hot glue or tape the “pouring” triangle of each carton to the side as shown to create the tops.
- Using scissors, cut off any plastic pour spouts.
- Using a paintbrush, paint a thin layer of Mod Podge onto one side of the cartons and place a paper napkin over the top, gently smoothing it out. Continue this process until all cartons are covered entirely. Allow to dry completely.
- Using foam paintbrush and Mod Podge, add one more layer of napkin onto each carton. Allow to dry completely.
- Spray-paint each carton brown. Allow to dry completely.
- While the spray paint is drying, cut the cereal box cardboard to create a rooftop for each carton.
- Tip: Cut strips as wide as each carton with a 1/4- to 1/2-inch overhang.
- Using sandpaper, rub off the any colored print on the cereal box cardboard rooftops, leaving a rough surface.
- Paint each rooftop with white acrylic paint. Allow to dry completely.
- Hot-glue the rooftops to the top of the cartons.
- Using a nylon or synthetic paintbrush, spread the Snow-Tex on the rooftops and gently press on buttons. Allow to dry completely.
- Using tacky glue, decorate the cartons to create a holiday village using markers, stickers, jewels and beads.
- Tip: I created a couple of houses, a school and a market. The possibilities are endless, so start creating, Divas!
You can add weight to the buildings by pouring some rice or dried beans into each carton before attaching the rooftops.
~The Dairy Diva