This isn’t just any ol’ green bean casserole!
I think we can all agree, there’s something about grandma’s cooking that makes food extra-special. This green bean casserole recipe proves just that! It’s rich, creamy and the perfect dish for a new holiday tradition for any family.
Grammy’s Creamy Green Bean Casserole
- 2 14.5 oz. cans of cut green beans
- Cooking spray
- 1 4.5 oz. jar sliced mushrooms (or you can use fresh sliced mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat or gluten free)
- 3/4 cup water (for sauce)
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Milk (Vitamin D or 2%)
- 1/4 cup Hiland Dairy All Natural Sour Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°F and spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add sliced onion and brown, stirring occasionally. Pour browned onions into a bowl and set aside (do not wash skillet). Spray same skillet with cooking spray, return to heat and add mushrooms. Cook until browned. Reduce heat to low; stir in flour to coat mushrooms. Slowly add milk and whisk while pouring until all lumps are gone. Add 3/4 cup water, sour cream, 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; whisk together. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and let simmer until sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes). Drain green beans and add to skillet with sauce; stir to combine. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
For topping, combine browned onions, breadcrumbs, remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese, olive oil and 3 tablespoons water. Mix together until crumbs appear. Top green bean mixture with topping mixture and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.