Hiland Home Lifehack: Dairy Substitutes
Does your recipe call for a dairy product you don’t have on hand?
So you’ve got friends coming over for dinner. You’ve found a recipe online that looks amazing, but… it calls for buttermilk. You’ve got pots simmering on the stove and you can’t run out to the store to buy some, so what do you do?
Here are a few substitutes for missing dairy ingredients:
- Buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of Hiland Dairy Milk
- Crème fraîche: Combine 1 cup Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream and 1 tablespoon Hiland Dairy Plain Greek Yogurt. Let stand for 6 hours at room temperature
- Heavy Cream: combine 3/4 cup Hiland Dairy Milk with 1/3 cup Hiland Dairy Butter
- Mayonnaise: Substitute an equal amount of Hiland Dairy Greek Plain Yogurt or Hiland Dairy Sour Cream
- Ricotta Cheese: Substitute an equal amount of Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese
These are just a few ideas. If you have any more to add, feel free to send them to us in the comment box below!