National sweat-socks month…Finnish polka week…Turkey casserole day…
Every time you check Facebook or Twitter, it seems as if it’s yet another seemingly made-up event to “celebrate.” But June Dairy Month? That’s legit! In fact, it’s been around for more than 75 years. Yep, June Dairy Month was the brainchild of the National Dairy Council back in 1937 as a way to distribute the extra milk produced by cows when they started on pasture in the summer months.
Three quarters of a century later, June Dairy Month is still going strong, highlighting the nutritional importance of dairy products in our lives.
So in honor of this venerable celebration of all things milk-related, let’s look at a few interesting dairy facts:
- Milk is America’s number-one food source for calcium, potassium and vitamin D
- An 8 oz. glass of Hiland Dairy Milk contains 8 grams of protein…and a one cup serving of Hiland Dairy Greek Yogurt contains a whopping 23 grams of protein
- Dollar for dollar, dairy foods are among the most economical sources of nutrition in the grocery store
- Hiland Dairy Milk is pasteurized to kill bacteria such as E. coli, Listeria and Salmonella, which is why it is not safe to consume raw milk
- Despite its creamy texture, milk is actually 85-95 percent water
- The protein content in Hiland Dairy Milk remains the same whether you choose whole, 2%, 1% or fat free
These are just a few fun facts about milk and the delicious, nutritious products that come from it…so make sure you get some dairy in your life. Your body will thank you for it!