Mouthwatering Chicken Enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo
Let’s Get Our Fiesta On!
Even though there might be some confusion as to why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo (the Mexican army’s victory over the French army at the Battle of Puebla), there is no questioning the deliciousness of these amazing chicken enchiladas with green chili cream sauce. Pssst … the secret is the creamy sauce. Now, let’s celebrate!
Chicken Enchiladas With Green Chili Cream Sauce
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 16 ounces Hiland Dairy Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded and divided
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Hiland Dairy Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Sour Cream
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Divide half the chicken, 14 ounces of cheese and onion among the 8 tortillas.
Roll up each tortilla and place them seam-side down in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside. Tip: You will have leftovers for another batch of 4-6 enchiladas.
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the flour and whisk until mixture begins to boil.
Slowly add the broth and stir until thickened. Add the sour cream and green chilies, and heat thoroughly. Tip: Be sure not to boil.
Pour cream sauce over enchiladas.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 5 more minutes.
Garnish with green onions, cilantro and black olives.
~The Dairy Diva