A Classic Casserole With a Twist
For National Tater Day, I decided to treat my family to a hearty tater tot casserole. I added a little kick to this basic casserole by baking in Mexican flavors that my family loves. The fresh Hiland Dairy ingredients made this Mexican casserole so delicious, there were no leftovers to be had!
Tater Tot Mexirole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 package taco seasoning, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed fiesta-flavored nacho cheese soup
- 1 1/3 cups Hiland Dairy Milk
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen tater tots
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Sliced black olives (optional)
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Layer tater tots in the prepared casserole dish. Bake until potatoes begin to crisp, about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the ground beef. Drain the cooked beef. Add tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, corn and half of the package of taco seasoning. Mix until well blended and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Combine remaining taco seasoning with the tomato soup, nacho cheese soup and milk in a saucepan. Heat until just boiling.
Spoon ground beef mixture over potato puffs. Pour soup mixture over top.
Bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle casserole with cheeses and top with black olives (optional).
Bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Print this recipe.
This casserole is even better when topped with a spoonful of Hiland Dairy Sour Cream and some chives. Dig in!
~The Dairy Diva