The so-called Paleolithic Diet (Paleo Diet, for short) consists of eating only what our Paleolithic ancestors ate. In simple terms, the diet has one rule: if cavemen didn’t eat it, you shouldn’t either.
While some of its principles are praised by nutritionists – an avoidance of sugar and processed foods, for instance – some have expressed concern that the diet lacks certain essential nutrients. Two in particular are calcium and vitamin D, which are both abundantly found in dairy products.
This has led to the development of a hybrid version of the regimen, a “lacto-paleo” diet. With this form of the diet, adherents still avoid excess sugar and processed foods, but they do include dairy products in their daily lives. By doing so, they are able to reap the nutritional benefits of the original paleo diet while getting the calcium and vitamin D their bodies need.
The bottom line is, your body requires certain nutrients to function properly, and dairy products are a great source of some of these. In fact, dairy products not only contain the aforementioned calcium and vitamin D, they’re also a great source of potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A and B12, riboflavin and niacin.
So if you’re thinking of getting back to your caveman roots and starting a paleo diet, drop the sugar and processed food… but don’t forget the dairy!
Here are five great ways to add the benefits of dairy to your paleo diet:
- Find the milk that’s right for you. There are a variety of kinds available – including Hiland Dairy Whole Milk (3.25 percent milkfat), 2% Milk, Skim Milk and Skim Extra Milk.
- Swap out your plant-based milk. Use real Hiland Dairy Milk in place of almond, coconut or rice milk. You’ll get 8 grams of protein compared to just 1 — along with calcium, vitamin D and other essential nutrients.
- Try plain Hiland Dairy Greek Plain Yogurt. (Skip the flavored yogurts with added sugar and add natural fruit and nuts to customize your own paleo-yogurt.)
- Make a Paleo pudding with Hiland Dairy Milk. Create a Paleo-approved dessert, such a chia pudding or other puddings made with Hiland Dairy Milk without added sugar.
- Fortify your breakfast smoothie by adding real Hiland Dairy Milk to add more protein.