This post was contributed by Lolo’s Desserts.
Welcome to Week 3 of the #HilandBakingChallenge! I have LOVED seeing all of your creations! I hope you are having fun getting creative in the kitchen while spending time at home!
This week, our challenge is the Cosmic Brownie! This is a copycat recipe of the old school Little Debbie Brownies from back in the day. I used to have these in my lunchbox every single day in grade school. I always peeled the thick layer of fudgy frosting off the top and ate that first. (That was clearly the best part). This brownie is exactly that, a thick fudgy brownie topped with a thick, rich solid layer of chocolate ganache and signature candy-coated sprinkles. They are AMAZING!!!
I bought my sprinkles on Amazon but you can use sprinkles, nuts, chocolate chips, whatever you have on hand that you would love to eat. Get creative!
FYI- I’m still going to peel off the top fudgy layer and eat it first. I just can’t resist.
Get started today! After you make your brownies, snap a photo, post it and tag it with #HilandBakingChallenge for your chance to win a swag bag of Hiland Dairy goodies. One winner each week!
See full contest rules here.
Below is the recipe plus a .pdf that you can print out to keep handy in the kitchen while you bake.
Head over to www.hilanddairy.com for products and coupons to stock up your fridge. Be sure to tag #HilandBakingChallenge for a chance to win the prize package of Hiland coupons and goodies each week and to be featured on the Lolo’s page as well!
- 10 Tablespoons Hiland Dairy Butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon corn syrup
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Heavy Cream
- Rainbow Chips, Sprinkles, M&Ms, Nuts, any candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment or foil. Leave some overhang over the sides, this helps so the brownies are easy to pull out of the pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the Hiland butter for about 60-90 seconds. Pour into the bowl of your stand mixer. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Add in the vanilla, corn syrup, eggs, and egg yolk and mix again until well combined. Add flour, cornstarch, and salt. Mix again until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking pan, use a spoon or spatula to spread out evenly. Bake for 23-25 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Pour the Hiland heavy cream into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Pour in the chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes before stirring.
- Stir until smooth, then pour over the brownies and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with rainbow chips. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until frosting is set.
- Cut brownies and enjoy! (Feel free to peel the top layer off and eat it, I won’t tell)