Dry Curd Cottage Cheese – Mac & Cheese!
Being of Czech descent, my mom used sour cream and cottage cheese in several of her favorite recipes. One dish that stands out to me as a kid and now my kids say tastes better than the macaroni and cheese is Cottage Cheese and Noodles.
The key ingredient is dry curd cottage cheese. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store, simply buy Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese, strain out the excess moisture, rinse well and pat dry. Voila! You made dry curd cottage cheese!
Dry Curd Cottage Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Butter
- 1 Small onion finely diced
- 1 bag Package egg yolk noodles (16 oz bag)
- 16 oz Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Hiland Dairy Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in melted butter until
softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles al dente according to the package.
- In the meantime, rinse the cottage cheese under running water until the water runs clear and the curds are very visible. Pat dry.
- Drain the noodles and return to the same pot.
- Stir butter and onion mixture, cottage cheese, sour cream, sea salt, and black pepper into the noodles.
- Place the pot over medium heat and cook until heated through – approximately 5 minutes.
- Diva’s Tip: Serve as a side with your favorite sausage and vegetable, or serve alone as an