Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day
Calling All Kids!
September 13 is Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day so take a break and let your kiddos measure, stir, bake and laugh their way through preparing their favorite dish for you.
My kids love their signature Macaroni and Cheese Bake that combines crisp tender broccoli and bacon with farm-fresh Hiland Dairy Milk, Butter, and Cheddar Cheese. I know it can be a bit chaotic but letting your kids make an easy recipe from beginning to end will get them really excited about cooking!
Macaroni and Cheese Bake
- 8 oz Hiland Dairy Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3 cups Broccoli Florets, steamed
- 8 oz Dried Pasta
- 1/4 cup Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter
- Garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Hiland Dairy Whole Milk
- 5 slices Room Temperature Bacon, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil pasta as directed on package.
- Chop and cook your broccoli until al dente. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk constantly for approximately three minutes to create the roux.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let rest until thickened.
- Add the pasta, broccoli, and cheddar cheese to the pan and fold until combined.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture into a buttered 9-inch buttered baking dish and top with additional shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve warm.