The Lasagna You Need: Cottage Cheese Rich, Meat-Free
This time of year at The Hiland Home, we get a lot of requests for meat-free dinner dishes. This is one of our favorites…a meatless lasagna with cottage cheese that is filling, delicious and just right for a family dinner.
Creamy Broccoli Lasagna
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup Hiland Butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- ¾ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- 2 ½ cups Hiland Milk
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cups Hiland Cottage Cheese
- Tip: To reduce sodium, use Hiland Dairy Lower Sodium Lowfat Cottage Cheese. If your favorite grocery store doesn’t currently carry this product, just fill out a Shopper Request Form and provide it to your grocer!
- 2 jars (4.5 oz. each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 packages (6oz. each) sliced Swiss cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Add the flour, bouillon, garlic salt, pepper and thyme; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add broccoli; cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese and mushrooms. Drain noodles. In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer three noodles, a third of the sauce and a third of the Swiss cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake uncovered, at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and broccoli is tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.