Yummy Frog Cupcakes for Leap Day
When I think of Leap Day I usually don’t think of having an extra day to read or clean out my closet. I think of frogs. I like to think it’s a day that gives frogs a day to call their own and that makes me “hoppy.” So, instead of cleaning, I make my way to the kitchen and whip up these adorable Leap Day Frog Cupcakes for my kids. I can honestly say they love these special treats but are not fond of having to wait every four years. Hoppy Leap Day!Print Recipe
Frog Cupcakes for Leap Day
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp Hiland Dairy Vitamin D Milk
- green food coloring
- rolled fruit-flavored snacks
- candy eyes
- Preheat oven according to the box directions.
- Make and bake cupcakes according to the box directions. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the butter and vanilla and mix until completely combined.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar a cup at a time and beat on low until each cup is incorporated.
- Add the milk one tablespoon at a time and mix until frosting is the right spreading consistency.
- Add several drops of green food coloring into the buttercream and mix until the frosting is completely green and no dark green streaks are visible.
- Cut the fruit snack about 2-inches long and 1-millimeter wide. Roll up one side of the fruit strip to make a frog’s tongue.
- Fill a piping bag with buttercream frosting and squeeze a large mound of frosting on the top of each cupcake.
- Place the eyes on one side of the frosting mound and insert the fruit tongue below the eyes.
Diva’s Tip: I highly recommend using pure vanilla and not vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the frosting. Also, Hiland Dairy Vitamin D Milk works best for spreading consistency but any Hiland Dairy Milk will work.
~The Dairy Diva