We all know that oatmeal is good for us, right? It’s heart-healthy and packed with fiber. But let’s face it, some of you out there may not have the fondest opinion of oatmeal if you grew up eating what amounted to a gloppy bowl of mush. Not very appetizing, right?
We’ve got a baked oatmeal recipe that’s chunky, crunchy and packed with sweet-and-tangy fruit! It’s delicious, nutritious and super-easy to make. What’s more, you can make it on Sunday and simply pop it in the microwave in the morning for breakfast all week long!
Fruity Baked Oatmeal
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons Hiland Dairy Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries, sliced thinly (enough to cover your pan)
- 2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, divided
- 1/2 cup blackberries, to decorate
Preheat oven to 375º F. Lightly grease a 7″ x 11″ baking dish. In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a liquid measuring cup, combine syrup, milk, egg, butter and vanilla. Spread the bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of sliced strawberries.
Add half the blueberries over the bananas and strawberries. Evenly pour the oatmeal mixture over the fruit. Then pour the liquid ingredients over the oats. Decorate the top with the remaining nuts, blueberries and blackberries.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Refrigerate uneaten portions and reheat in microwave as needed. Tip: Store in single serve containers for an easy, quick and healthy breakfast!